Collaboration and Innovation for Sustainable Recycling of Resource
- 8 million tons of recycled material and renewable material per year in 2025*
- Zero Waste to Landfill from Bang Sue Head Office in 2021
- Share of recyclable, reusable or compostable packaging of SCGP achieve 100% in 2025
- Sales volume of SCG GREEN POLYMERTM of Chemicals Business 200,000 tons per year in 2025, 1,000,000 tons per year in 2030
- 3.76 million tons of recycled material and renewable material
- 9.9 tons of waste to Landfill from Bang Sue Head Office
- 99.5 % share of recyclable, reusable or compostable packaging of SCGP
- 20,100 tons of SCG GREEN POLYMERTM of Chemicals Business
- Develop products and services aligned with circular economy principle to generate and retain maximum value of materials.
- Collect and manage wastes for recycling.
- Transform new business model according to circular economy principles.
- Establish a Circular Economy Committee to steer and facilitate success factors of CE in five dimensions: awareness raising, collaboration, regulation, innovation and a management and evaluation system.
SCG prioritizes circular economy and its principle of “make-use-return” to manage and respond to challenges of waste, world’s resource scarcity and climate change through the SCG Circular Way. SCG collaborates with all sectors and actors in earnest and uses innovation to optimize resource and to efficiently manage waste.
From Pile Waste to Value In construction activity, concrete pile waste is the weightiest, and inevitable in the process. The typical approach is disposal to landfill under the charge of project owner. Cement-Building Materials Business adopts circularity to construction industry through a new approach of “Pile Waste Module.” In “Pile Waste Module”- instead of sending to landfill – these process scraps are to be crushed, and then used as substitute material in a range of construction work such as road paving material, parking lot ground, or to make concrete sheets. The outcome yields property equivalent to normal concrete. Yet it helps reduce use of virgin material, pollution, transport to landfill and cutting GHG emissions at every step of waste management process, setting a new standard of pile waste the circular way.
“Pile Waste Module” is a collaboration between Cement-Building Materials Business and project owners, developers and construction contractors. In 2020-2021, “Pile Waste Module” counts participation of 22 building construction projects of 11 companies. Notably in 2021, this approach is applied in the pile waste aggregation and crushing to yield material for construction of parking lot of Covestro Thailand, and pavements of Central Department Store in Chantaburi province. Materials recovered and recycled
total about 14,096 tons, equivalent to emissions cut of 1,397 ton CO2.
Making beam column using wood model installed at construction site is a step that generates waste including the wood model itself, concrete scraps. This run-of-themill step is time consuming and challenging for quality control. Cement-Building Materials Business came up with a Structure Solution to reduce complication, manhours and use of wood model by at least 90%. The solution helps reduce waste generation, while ensuring outcome with the desired quality which extends the lifespan. While optimizing resource use, the solution offers customer’s satisfaction.
SCG GREEN POLYMERTM
Chemicals Business developed an innovative solution of making plastic pellets under 4Rs and Circular Economy principles. This solution is presented as SCG GEEN POLYMERTM which is plastic pellet that is eco-friendly across its lifecycle from design, production, marketing, transport, storage and delivery, product use, recycling and disposal upon end of product life. This is the proposition to consumers keen on eco-product. It enhances the competitive edge of Chemicals Business in the world market. Key attributes of SCG GREEN POLYMERTM line consist of Reduce -use of plastic material while still retaining strength with SMX Technology. Recyclable – by design for plastic packaging upon expiry to be recyclable through use of mono-material polymer. Recycle – used plastics from households are crushed and returned as feedstock in production process. Renewable – resource can regenerate itself naturally and is biodegradable via development of Bioplastic.
Paper Innovation for Less Resource Use
SCGP (Packaging Business) is committed to development of paper and packaging in line with Circular Economy principle by using used material as feedstock to make new products under rigorous quality control. Outputs from such circularity reduce resource use while retaining quality according to standards. Examples include:
- Spring and Idea Green premium 80 gramphotocopy paper made from 50% Ecofiber pulp. These products are TISI Green Label certified and belong to the range of SCG Green Choice.
- TS – Kraft Liner is light weighted, made from 100% recycled wastepaper, certified SCG Green Choice.
- Honeycomb Paper Band, SCG Green Choice, is used as inner cushion of packages, allowing less use of paper use per volume at least 30%.
Expanding Partnership in SCG Circular Way
- SCGP reXycle Drop Point. SCGP collaborates with partners in this undertaking. In 2021, a network of over 50 such Drop Points are active, for example, UOB’s Waste to Wisdom, the paper recycling project joined by 5 hospitals of the Phyathai Hospital Group. With PTTG Energy Pcl, the partnership set up drop points in five PT service stations to aggregate paper waste and PET bottles from 1 July 2021. To date, 500 kgs of papers have been collected along with 150 kgs of PET bottles.
- Tor Toong Ton Tan, Closed-loop Recycling Model Chemicals Business and CP All Pcl jointly developed a strong and durable type of plastic bag using plastic waste from CP All’slogistics process as feedstock for recycling process to yield material to make new bags. This guarantees no leak of plastic outside of the process. It is internal circularity practice, deemed a Closed-Loop Recycling Model according to Circular Economy principle. It helps reduce volume of plastic waste, use of virgin material and cut GHG emissions.
Chemicals Business is hoping to scale up this model in partnership with other organizations going forward.
More information https://www.scg.com/sustainability/circular-economy/en/