Talent Attraction, Retention and Development
In order to develop the organization in accordance with the business directions, strategies, needs and future growth. Therefore, SCG develops strategic workforce planning for future manpower in terms of quantity, skills, and capabilities covering recruitment, employee development has promptly adjusted its instruction formats and content to ensure continuous employee development in line with changing business strategies and circumstances. Including the retention of employees that is important to SCG’s sustainable growth.
- 100% of employees in Thailand receive a competency assessment and have an Individual Development Plan (IDP) on the Learning Management System (LMS) continuously every year.
- Employee engagement rate based on the total number of employees in Thailand exceeds 70% (surveyed every 2 years).
- 100% hiring of employees with disability to promote diversity and equality.
- Promote digital learning by, for instance, adjusting the content and the activities to suit virtual classroom instructions.
- Enhance employee competencies to meet the Company’s competitiveness and develop leaders to have attitudes, knowledge and abilities, and be able to develop subordinates to have potential as an important force of SCG.
- Create a fundamental learning system by using the Learning Management System (LMS), with the same quality and standards across the region.
- Create value for the organization to attract talents and competent prospective employees.
- Ensure that employee care is equitable and thorough to foster employee engagement.
- SCG has appointed committees at the business unit level (BU Academy Committee) to oversee employee learning and take care of competency development for all employees.
- 100% of SCG’s employees in Thailand continued to receive performance assessment and an Individual Development Plan (IDP) on the Learning Management System (LMS) equal to 56.1% of all employees
- SCG achieved 70% employee engagement based on the total number of employees (Thailand only)
- Hiring 100% of employees with disability to promote diversity and equality according to laws.
- Average amount spent on training and development 9,569 Baht/ Person
The COVID-19 has forced many businesses to adjust to shifts in society and customer behaviors, including the trend of Work from Home and businesses need to adapt by using technology. The positive consequence, in addition to the ability for employees to learn and develop technology skills, is the organization also has the opportunity to allocate and plan a new workforce in accordance with future work patterns that focuses on planning to develop employees’ competency rather than increasing quantitatively.
Programs/ initiatives in 2021
- Develops workforce planning for future manpower in terms of quantity, skills, and capabilities, based on business directions, strategies, needs as well as the current state of workforce, skills, and capabilities. Mid-career professionals with capabilities that SCG cannot timely develop are employed to enable the business operation to keep up with the changes and to enhance competitive advantage. Moreover, the Company has begun adopting a competency-based recruitment approach in some areas to ensure employment appropriateness and be competitive in the labor market.
- Determine Strategic Job Position in recruiting employees in accordance with business directions, strategies by using AI to help recruitment meet more needs such as AI resume screening, online interviewing, etc., that can meet the increased demand 250% compared with the same period in 2020.
- Human resource analysis both quantitatively and qualitatively in order to apply the results for employees recruitment such as
- Planning to recruit talent employees in field of Innovation, Automation, Technology, Digitization according to business directions and support future business operations.
- Recruiting employees according to required competency by using online channels that reach new generations, expand social media accessibility to increase followers such as the number of followers on LinkedIn has increased by 14%, Line ad has followers by 10% and SCG page visit has increased 111% and promote career management.
- Adjusting the employment model to be flexible (Gig economy), up to date and reduce unnecessary steps such as the adoption of block chains, etc.
- The existing welfare and benefits have been redesigned on a mark-to-mark basis to ensure compatibility with the current employment environment especially, those in the fields of Digital and Technology, Data Science.
- Taken advantage of digital tools in recruitment such as in online candidate assessment, interview, and in caring for new recruits. Digital analytics tools such as Google Analytic and Bitly, are also utilized to analyze activities involved in applicant selection and store more applicant information. SCG has also joined hands with LinkedIn to enhance applicant data management.
SCG has adjusted its strategies, accelerated its capability enhancement in line with its business strategies, and changed the learning format to suit the changing circumstances. SCG is ready to cater to ever-changing learning behavior for the maximum benefits of the learners and has increased the proportion of digital learning to in-house learning. In addition, it has consistently strived to improve the learning experience of the employees.
Programs/ initiatives in 2021
- Revised and added a total of 279 digital courses, forming 90% of the target courses, as well as enhanced LMS to improve accessibility and deliver positive learning experience to employees at all levels.
- Placing emphasis on hands-on practice and experience-based learning in the 70:20:10 ratio for maximum learning efficiency, SCG has improved its programs and increased the proportion of learning. In addition, SCG continuously develops employee development plans, with a committee of representatives from every business unit closely overseeing employee development.
- 70: Coaching On-the-Job Training and Assignment
- 20: An intensive coaching system has also been instituted so that employees and their supervisors can seek learning solutions suitable for employees’ and the Business’ needs.
- 10: Revised 20 out of its 25 programs, or 80% of all the programs. These included one flagship program, namely the Business Concept Development (BCD), and 19 regular and future skill programs, namely Data Analytics for Business, Intelligence Ways to Create Idea Workshop, and Customer Insight.
- Continuously develops employees through reskilling and upskilling with the focusing on future capability programs such as Changeable Mindset for Success, Find Out Why, and Business Strategy in VUCA World that cater to evolving needs of customers. Chief among the efforts include providing the Business Transformation Tool course, updating contents of the Flagship Programs in response to the changing business, and supporting the use of Learning Management Platform to enable employees to learn anywhere and anytime.
- Arranges internal startup programs to build skills, capabilities, and a mindset of working like a startup, allowing employees to timely develop new businesses in response to customer needs.
- Applying talent management to overseas businesses: With regard to talent management in Thailand, SCG has revised its assessment criteria, organized virtual capability development programs, and formulated succession plans for Strategic Job Position and expand to overseas businesses appropriately.
- HR Transformation Project: SCG worked with external experts from Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) to improve its human resources management operations and introduced digital technology such as Robotic Process Automation (RPA), BOT, and AI, to enhance the operational efficiency of the staff and reduce operational costs.
Different analytics tools (PowerBI, data modeling, and predicting analysis) are used to perform manpower analysis and risk analysis for the purpose of employee retention. SCG employs HR Analytics to conduct organization network analysis, which can help enhance the learning experience of employees and promotes the initiation of a human resource management policy that centers around meeting the needs of employees.
Programs/ initiatives in 2021
- Conducted HR Analytic for groups of employees who are likely to resign in order to plan to enhance engagement for those groups of employees.
- The Company has put in place a job value assessment process for the jobs at different levels in the organization and established a suitable remuneration structure that is competitive with other companies in the same industry or located in the vicinity.
- A performance assessment system that is guided by fairness and equitability within the organization and takes into account communication between employees, their superiors, and the company of relevant expectations, action plans, and the organization’s shared goals. Remuneration is offered in the following forms: salaries, position-dependent work-related allowances, bonuses, variable pays, and other benefits.
- SCG has introduced flexible benefits as an alternative for employees. This new initiative, which places emphasis on the value of the employee and provides incentives that are personalized to each individual’s needs, not only promotes employee engagement but also respond to the new hybrid workplace effectively.
- Support expression and association of diverse employees to increase the ability to create innovative ideas, good relationship and enhance engagement in the organization such as group of sports, music, travel, etc. Moreover, SCG created a networking groups of women via online channel (Facebook) called SCG Sis to Sit to sharing knowledge and experience, a range of topics relevant to life during the pandemic and kept employees connected.
- Redesigned the facilities in its offices to create co-working spaces and collaborative zones and provided ergonomic office equipment and furniture such as desks and chairs, internet allowances, to support the new-normal style of work.
- Provide long-term benefits for employees include provident funds, financial management courses, healthcare, retirement preparedness programs, and retired employee clubs, all of which ensure that employees have a good quality of work life and have retirement plans that guarantee their financial stability and health.
- SCG has educated employees on healthcare, virus prevention, and daily conduct during the COVID-19 pandemic. SCG has also put in place an employee monitoring system and provided weekly COVID-19 situation updates through various digital channels.
- HR Digitization: SCG has transformed its work environment into a digital workplace and provided equipment and tools that enable remote work to enhance interactions between employees and maintain engagement, as follows:
- Employee Connect Application: Personal data management, leave and OT requests, welfare and benefit management. In 2021, new features have been added, including daily health checkups for COVID-19 screening, vaccination records, seat reservation in the office, etc.
- HR Operations: Robotic Process Automation (RPA) is implemented to reduce process time and redundant tasks and to support remote work through features such as e-Signature, virtual meeting tools, report summaries, transaction records, and reimbursements. The power app is used to track the status of operational activities.
- Performance Management System: Success factors have been employed to improve the performance management process, from formulating KPIs to monitoring performance and recording consultation sessions in a digital format.
- PowerBI Dashboard: The dashboard is utilized in the analysis of HR KPIs and employee data such as manpower management and resignation. The data can also be submitted to the management via the dashboard.
- Talent management and succession planning: A talent portfolio is used via an e-Platform to gather talents’ profiles for the consideration of career management in the future.
- Places importance to employee engagement by carrying out a corporate-wide engagement survey and using the results to implement changes to retain employees which are the Company’s valuable assets.