Talent Attraction, Retention and Development
According to various abrupt changes, SCG is required to restructure and adjust its business strategies by encouraging self-development and adaptability among employees at all levels to ensure their people can keep up with the shifting business landscape. SCG has also been working to foster employee engagement to retain our people, who are key resource for driving sustainable growth.
- 100% of employees in Thailand receive a competency assessment and have an Individual Development Plan (IDP) on the Learning Management System (LMS) continuously every year.
- 60% of Employee Satisfaction.
- 100% hiring of employees with disability to promote diversity and equality.
- Create value for the organization to attract talents and competent prospective employees.
- Ensure that employee care is equitable and thorough to foster employee engagement.
- Enhance employee competencies to meet the Company’s competitive needs and enable them to work happily and work in a team effectively.
- Foster a culture of learning by giving employees an opportunity to develop themselves according to their interest using the most suitable learning method for themselves through hard skill and soft skill courses and through diverse learning channels.
- Create a conducive learning factor with the Learning Management System (LMS) to ensure uniform quality and standards both in Thailand and abroad.
- SCG provides courses and activities to promote learning and self-development for employees in a short amount of time and foster a positive mindset both for working individually and with others as well as social and environmental responsibility, with supervisors, coaches, mentors, co-workers, and team members supporting the learning process.
- 100% of SCG’s employees in Thailand continued to receive performance assessment and an Individual Development Plan (IDP) on the Learning Management System (LMS) equal to 55.0% of all employees
- 63% of Employee Satisfaction.
- Hiring 100% of employees with disability to promote diversity and equality according to laws.
- Average amount spent on training and development 13,540 Baht/ Person
New normal of working life brings the trend of Work from Home or Work form Anywhere. Businesses need to adapt by using technology which results to employees to learn and develop technology skills. The organization also has to allocate and plan a new workforce in accordance with future work patterns that focuses on planning to develop employees’ competency rather than increasing quantitatively.
Programs/ initiatives in 2022
- Develops workforce planning for future manpower in terms of quantity, skills, and capabilities, based on business directions, strategies, needs as well as the current state of workforce, skills, and capabilities. Mid-career professionals with capabilities that SCG cannot timely develop are employed to enable the business operation to keep up with the changes and to enhance competitive advantage. Moreover, the Company has begun adopting a competency-based recruitment approach in some areas to ensure employment appropriateness and be competitive in the labor market.
- Determine Strategic Job Position in recruiting employees in accordance with business directions, strategies by using AI to help recruitment meet more needs such as AI resume screening, online interviewing, etc.
- Human resource analysis both quantitatively and qualitatively in order to apply the results for employees recruitment such as
- Planning to recruit talent employees in field of Innovation, Automation, Technology, Digitization according to business directions and support future business operations.
- Recruiting employees according to required competency by using online channels that reach new generations, expand social media accessibility to increase followers such as the number of followers on LinkedIn, Line ad and SCG page.
- Adjusting the employment model to be flexible (Gig economy), up to date and reduce unnecessary steps such as the adoption of block chains, etc.
- The existing welfare and benefits have been redesigned on a mark-to-mark basis to ensure compatibility with the current employment environment especially, those in the fields of Digital and Technology, Data Science.
- Taken advantage of digital tools in recruitment such as in online candidate assessment, interview, and in caring for new recruits. Digital analytics tools such as Google Analytic and Bitly, are also utilized to analyze activities involved in applicant selection and store applicant information. SCG has also joined hands with LinkedIn to enhance applicant data management.
SCG upskills and reskills employees to ensure they can adapt to the new modes of work effectively, including the hybrid workplace and hybrid collaboration, and can develop a hybrid mindset to maintain adaptability to the situation. Hybrid learning was placed in online, digital (e-Learning), virtual classrooms, live learning sessions, site visits, workshop simulations, coaching, and project assignments and was utilized to accommodate both on-site and online participants simultaneously, while the 70:20:10 blended learning was maintained. In addition, individual development plans are developed for every employee, with their supervisor and the human resources department supporting their learning through various methods, such as coaching, mentoring, on-the-job training, job shadowing, special projects, digital learning, and live learning, conducted by internal and external instructors. The purpose is to ensure that all employees can contribute to the continuous, smooth, and effective business operations of SCG.
Employee Development Programs
|Business and Leadership for Managers|
|The objectives are knowledge and competency development necessary for First Line Managers and Manager of Managers and to readying executives, who are also a vital force of SCG, to cope with emerging challenges in the future. Management Development Program (MDP) and Management Acceleration Program (MAP). Both programs are designed to keep participants up-to-date with the current business landscape. The efforts included the addition of design thinking and the agile process which focus on utilizing thinking processes to obtain insights into customers’ problem and applying creativity and varied perspectives to create ideas for solutions linked to business, which are then tested and developed to achieve guidelines or innovations that respond to the fast-changing needs of customers.|
Impact of business benefits:
Learning case: CPAC Precast Column & Beam Solution. The solution involved pre-casting concrete columns and beams at the factory for on-site installation.
|Integrated Business Excellence Program (IBE)|
|Integrated Business Excellence (IBE), designed to create integrated collaborates between operations, value chain, and human resource development that fully develops people and organizational capability for effectiveness and creativity in increasing resource efficiency. This program consisted of Technical Model, Capability Building including Culture and Mindset designed on the blended learning approach (70: Project assignment and OJT, 20: Sharing, Coaching, Mentoring and 10: Formal learning program) through designed Managing Process to achieve business excellence.|
Human Capital Return on Investment (HC ROI): 0.979
|Total Revenue||569,609 Million Baht|
|Total Operating Expenses||570,620 Million Baht|
|Total employee-related expenses (salaries + benefits)||49,033 Million Baht|
Type of Performance Appraisal
SCG has assessed the performance of employees in various ways as follows:
Since 2018, SCG establishes “Performance Management System” to implement the framework of Management by objectives to ensure people across the organization are aligned with – and contributing to – the strategic objectives of the SCG visions. In order to sustainably embed Performance Management System in an ongoing employee behavior, SCG has created the combination of methodologies to monitor the quality as follows:
- Goal Planning: Each Individual employee will plan and act with goal management that align with supervisor and corporate vision to ensure delivering the business performance.
- Performance Dialogue: Official quarterly performance dialogue has been set as a regular basis for all employee to review their performance with supervisor. Therefore, employees are able to continuously improved themselves for greater corporate results.
- Performance Appraisal: SCG provides reward and recognition program for motivating employees to become strong performer. This will drive employees’ performance to go beyond and stretch potential for greater performance appraisal
Frequency: Goal setting annually and it can be adjusted according to the context that changes during the year.
SCG implements 360-degree feedback for collaboration to help employee gain their strength and opportunities for enhancement from other people as well as employee’s direct supervisor. Each will be assessed in both soft and hard skill e.g. Listen to Other, Strategic Formulation & Growth Mindset and Organizational & Performance Transformation. These to ensure that they could lift up themselves to create positive relationship within team and across functional, seek new opportunity and embed innovative idea and integrate changed across business.
SCG sets protocol of KPI “Deployment Process” to make employee engage with the business and own team goals. They will be a part of business’s success by setting their goal align with business direction, functional and team goals. To achieve individual goal is insufficient to become a strong performer but need to play an important role to contribute to the team’s success which called “Team Centric”.
We encourage managers and team members to self-review and manager review to provide feedback and support on individual and team contribution, focusing on collaboration, leadership, and teamwork. This approach is “Continuous performance management (CPM)” for monitor and support in time when business priorities shift.
Frequency: Ongoing work is done once a quarter and throughout the year.
SCG places great emphasis on welfare and remuneration management in order to attract talents and high-potential recruits as well as boost the morale of the staff so as to retain capable employees and drive them to successfully fulfill their duties, which in turn motivates them to further develop their capabilities and preparedness and enables them to see opportunities for career advancement.
Programs/ initiatives in 2022
- SCG provided ergonomic office equipment and furniture, such as desks and chairs, to ensure that its employees could work offsite efficiently.
- Internet allowances to reduce financial burdens on employees.
- Caring in Covid-19 situation, SCG has introduced Bubble & Seal and local community isolation in its manufacturing plants and ATK test kits as well as provided vaccination facilitation, a tele-med program for convenient consultation with doctors via phones, and boxes of essential items for self-care at home.
- SCG revised its policy and guideline for returning to work, established flexible work arrangements, and redesigned the workplace to include co-working spaces and collaborative zones to suit the situation.
- SCG reviewed employee benefits and welfare and, in response to rising costs of living and inflation, provided a special one-time cost-of-living allowance to all employees up to the first line managers, with other forms of assistance to be considered as appropriate.
- The Company prioritizes the promotion of preventive healthcare through, for instance, gym facilities, health activities for employee clubs, educational workshops on health, vaccine provision, annual health checkups, and physical fitness tests.
- SCG launched the Caring Check System, through which employees can make inquiries as well as disclose and exchange information about their mental health, as well as the Doctor Anywhere System, which offers online consultation with psychiatrists and psychologists. In addition, psychiatrists are provided and available for appointment at the Healthcare Center.
- Long-term benefits for employees include provident funds, financial management courses, healthcare, retirement preparedness programs, and retired employee clubs, all of which ensure that employees have a good quality of work life and guarantee their financial stability and health.
- SCG has introduced flexible benefits as an alternative for employees. This new initiative, which places emphasis on the value of the employee and provides incentives that are personalized to each individual’s needs, not only promotes employee engagement but also respond to the new hybrid workplace effectively.
- Support expression and association of diverse employees to increase the ability to create innovative ideas, good relationship and enhance engagement in the organization such as group of sports, music, travel, etc. Moreover, SCG created a networking groups of women via online channel (Facebook) called SCG Sis to Sit to sharing knowledge and experience, a range of topics relevant to life during the pandemic and kept employees connected.
SCG places importance on Employee Engagement, Satisfaction and Well-Being by continuing a corporate-wide engagement survey and using the results to implement changes to retain employees who are the Company’s valuable assets. We have considered developing the right survey design to fit Business Aspirations, People Priorities, Organization Effectiveness and New Trends impacting the Organization.
Next, World-class organizations are taking an integrated approach to engagement and focusing on the consistency of experiences intentionally. The changing New Generation (Y and Z) and the New Way of Working (Hybrid Workplace/ Post Covid-19) directly impact to Engagement.
Therefore, we have aligned SCG Employee Engagement with the holistic Employee Experience, for the new approaches to take care People will focus on Top-down Actions and Team Actions delivering consistent Employee Experience (Leading Factors) to meet the new expectation of targeted employees.
SCG’s questions reflect Job Satisfaction, Purpose, Happiness and Stress. As the detailed aspects following:
|1||Job Satisfaction (External Motivation)||I would not hesitate to recommend this organization to a friend seeking employment.|
|2||Purpose (Internal Motivation)||This organization’s mission provides meaningful direction to me.|
|3||Happiness||This organization inspires me to do my best work every day.|
|4||Stress||My work-related stress is manageable for me.|